James Middleton 5-Day Plein Air Workshop 2020
Plein air painting is unlike any other painting experience. The environment engages the senses to focus on the essence of what’s before you.
My workshops offer a good balance between friendly interchange and education. They will be a relaxed, yet informative experience for all.
Days will include demonstrations, personal instruction, exercises, encouragement and positive critiques for personal growth.
Last year we painted in the colourful Town of Lunenburg, the Petite Riviere Vineyards, the LaHave Yacht Club, Blue Rocks fishing village, Green Bay, West Dublin Wharf, LaHave Island Wharf and from the front yard of my studio, overlooking the popular LaHave Bakery and the sailboats and lobster boats passing by.
We Will Cover:
• Various ways to start a painting (inside out/outside in).
• Making quick field sketches to determine compositions.
• Making preliminary value sketches to capture a strong design.
• Types of light and value planes (angles and consequent values).
• Understanding cool and warm colours.
• Simplifying detail for a more powerful statement.
• Understanding edges (soft, hard and lost).
• Creating atmospheric perspective and the illusion of distance.
1) August 11 – August 14
2) September 14 – September 18
Cost per person (5 days): $745 + HST.
If you are coming from another province, I recommend staying a few extra days – or even longer – to enjoy the spectacular Bluenose Coast! Bring your spouse and family!
Call to reserve your spot today! (902) 693-2093