Visual Arts News magazine is seeking a Publisher
$9000 1 year contract – renewable
Rate of Pay: $28 per hour billed at $3000 per issue
Hours: 312 hours annually or 6 hours/week, flexible schedule
Reporting to: Becky Welter-Nolan, Executive Director, Visual Arts Nova Scotia
Deadline: September 17, 2020
Interviews: September 23 and 24, 2020
Start Date: September 28, 2020
In consultation with the Editor and the Editorial Committee, the Publisher is responsible for the distribution of the magazine, subscriptions, and promotions. The Publisher coordinates the production of the magazine with the Editor, Copy Editor, Ad Sales Manager, Print Manager, and Art Director. The Publisher works closely with the Editor and the Executive Director, and is responsible for increasing the magazine’s profile and audience, and cultivating partnerships both regionally and nationally.
Core funding for this position has recently been secured through the Canada Council for the Arts. This position has the potential to expand as increased funding is secured. The Publisher will be required to work at our Halifax office 3-10 days throughout year during the physical distribution of each new issue, and strategic planning meetings.
- Managing subscriptions and increasing readership
- Developing and maintaining a budget in consultation with the Executive Director
- Invoicing advertisers and coordinating payments to contributors and magazine staff
- Developing and maintaining a production schedule and ensuring magazine staff are meeting deadlines
- Website and social media management
- Coordinating promotions and launches regionally and nationally
- Print and digital distribution
- Interfacing with our distributor, Magazines Canada
- Coordinating Editorial Committee meetings
- Developing partnerships with regional and national organisations
- Supporting the Executive Director in the development of special projects and funding applications related to the magazine
- Working with the Executive Director, Editor, and Editorial Committee to update, develop, and implement magazine policies and procedures
About Visual Arts News magazine:
Visual Arts News is dedicated to contemporary visual art in Atlantic Canada and is one of the oldest nationally distributed art magazines. Published three times a year in Fall, Winter, and Spring, every issue includes engaging essays, profiles, reviews, artist pages, and in-depth features on issues facing arts professionals. Written in a clear and sophisticated style by some of the most talented arts writers in the region, Visual Arts News reflects the diversity of geographic and cultural communities across the Atlantic region. Publishing Visual Arts News magazine is a core program of Visual Arts Nova Scotia. www.visualartsnews.ca.
The Visual Arts Nova Scotia office has a fully accessible entrance and washroom, with a workspace that can be made available at ground level. Successful candidates may work at Visual Arts Nova Scotia but are welcome to work in large part remotely, with the exception of the distribution of each issue which is conducted from our office.
The successful applicant will have an undergraduate degree in the arts, or equivalent experience, excellent coordination, promotion and administrative skills. Experience and interest in the visual arts in Atlantic Canada and beyond is a requirement.
As the lead individual in the production of the magazine, the Publisher should have strong supervisory, leadership, communication, and organizational skills and be able to work independently to deadlines. Experience in arts administration, coordinating publications, developing partnerships and/or audience building is considered an asset. Priority will be given to candidates who have experience participating in or creating anti-oppressive and/or equity-based frameworks.
Visual Arts Nova Scotia and Visual Arts News magazine are committed to employment equity, and we encourage applications from those who identify as Indigenous, Black, Persons of Colour, 2SLGBTQIA+, and/or Persons with Disabilities. If you have specific needs that you would like us to address, or any concerns please reach out or mention them in your application.
If an alternative method of submitting you application is preferred, such as audio or video, please contact us so that we can assist you.
Interested applicants should submit:
- Cover letter outlining your skills and interest in this position
- CV or resume detailing relevant work experience
- Names and contact details of two references
- Applicants selected for an interview will be asked to share their vision for the magazine’s growth.
Please direct applications to:
Search Committee, Visual Arts News
℅ Becky Welter-Nolan, Executive Director