VANS in Residence in partnership with The Pictou-Antigonish Regional Library and the Town of New Glasgow!
A call for artists:
Visual Arts Nova Scotia, in partnership with The Pictou-Antigonish Regional Library and the Town of New Glasgow, will host a 3-week Artist Residency in New Glasgow, NS from August 10 – 30, 2020. This program provides a stipend to support the artist to work full time for three weeks and an additional one week of planning. 60% of the time will be dedicated to the artist’s own work (creation, research or both) and 40% of the time will be dedicated to community based work, including hands-on workshops, studio visits, talks and presentations.
Due to the current restrictions in place as a result of COVID-19, some of the outreach will need to be done by distance, either by packages sent out to families in the community, or by online workshops made available. The library is organizing some in person outdoor activities, and that should also be a part of a residency plan.
A stipend of $2000 will be paid to the artist and a studio space will be provided in the town of New Glasgow, as well as accommodations if the artist is from outside the New Glasgow area.
The call for artists is now open and details can be found here.
To apply, artists must submit the following:
- Artist Statement (1 paragraph)
- Residency Outline (1 – 2 pages)
- Artist CV
- Documentation of work (max. 10 images)
- Artists who are not PAINTS artists, please provide a paragraph describing your experience facilitating work with groups in community (intergenerational and/or youth)
Artist Selection Criteria:
- Strength of the applicant’s artistic practice and professionalism
- Level of experience and interest in working in community collaborations, especially with youth
- The articulation of the vision and goals for the residency, relating to both the artist’s own work and the community collaborations
- Please note, for this residency priority will be given to BIPOC individuals and 2SLGBTQIA+ artists.
Applications must be received via email at email@example.com on or before the deadline of Monday, July 20, 2020.
Please contact PAINTS Coordinator Andrea Ritchie for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.