Call for Scores
The Canadian Chamber Choir (CCC) is soliciting innovative submissions for a National Choral Composition Competition. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic that has altered our world and especially in-person choral singing, we are looking for compositions that transcend the current limitations of singing together – choral music that is performable by singers spread throughout Canada. This competition is open to Canadian citizens or permanent residents. The CCC strongly encourages composers of diverse backgrounds and experiences to submit works for consideration.
Compositions should leverage technological supports but not rely solely on a ‘virtual choir’ platform. Choral innovations could include, but not be limited to: a combination of pre-recorded and live material, conducted and/or unconducted processes, and the use of other technologies which would be readily available to singers. The composition should be 2-4 minutes in total length and written for a cappella mixed chamber choir (divisi possible, 20 singers minimum). The winning composition will demonstrate a thoughtful, creative use of technology to create a choral piece that unites geographically separated singers and expresses emotions experienced by artistic communities during the pandemic.
This is the 3rd Choral Composition Competition sponsored by the Canadian Chamber Choir. Our mission is to celebrate and champion Canadian choral music by engaging in a diverse musical narrative that strengthens the choral community. Our Canada 150 competition was won by Alberta composer, Garrett Krause for his composition, “The Maple.” The song is featured on our recently released album. Seasons of Life and Landscape and is published by Cypress Choral Music.
The deadline for submissions is September 1, 2020. The winning composer will receive a $2,000 cash prize as well as a virtual performance of their work, in consultation with the CCC Artistic Team.
The piece must be for a cappella SATB chamber choir (with or without divisi parts) **Singers will NOT be able to be gathered in one geographical location. Individual singers will be located all over Canada.**
- Submissions must be a single piece, 2-4 minutes in length. Multi-movement pieces will not be accepted.
- Composers must have secured the legal rights to the text(s) set or the text must be in the public domain.
- Composers submitting works must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
- PDF is the only format that will be accepted. No paper manuscripts please.
- Submissions must be original compositions. Arrangements will not be accepted.
- Submissions must not have been previously performed, published, or commissioned.
- Please ensure the composer’s name does not appear anywhere on the score.
- Each submission requires a $25 application fee, payable by transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Composers may submit more than one composition but the application fee is required for each piece.
Click here for a printable summary of the competition guidelines.
For more information, please email the CCC General Manager email@example.com
To submit a piece for the competition, please email the submission to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Full details can be found on our website: https://canadianchamberchoir.ca/welcome/ccc-launches-2020-choral-composition-competition/