Artist in Residence
Artist in Residence Opportunity in Ingonish
The program is open to Canadian and international professional artists working in any medium. Artists may apply for an autumn residency period, for a minimum of 4-6 weeks, from October 16 to November 25, 2017.
Cape Breton Centre for Craft & Design, along with its partners, offers a number of artist in residence opportunities in Sydney each year. Residencies at Cape Breton Highlands National Park are offered in partnership with Parks Canada. These residencies offer professional artists the opportunity to focus for a concentrated period for a minimum of 4-6 weeks on developing new projects, or to work on existing projects within quiet, natural surroundings by the Atlantic Ocean.
Applications are reviewed by a jury of internal and external arts administrators, artists, educators, and by representatives of the partner organizations.
- Open to all professional artists with an established exhibition history
- Open to artists working in any medium
- Accommodation and workspace (three-bedroom house) located in Ingonish, Cape Breton Island, provided by Parks Canada
- Artists may apply to stay for minimum 4-6 weeks
- Some form of public access must be offered during the residency, in consultation with Parks Canada, e.g. open studio, slide talk, workshop
- Artists are responsible for their own transportation – a vehicle is highly desirable
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Current CV, including up-to-date exhibition record
- 10 to 15 image or video files of current artwork (300 DPI)
- 500-word statement of interest, including a description of work to be carried out during the residency, what the residency will bring to your practice and what your perspective will bring to the program
- Description of public access to be offered during the residency
- Preferred length of stay (as per above)
The deadline for applications is October 25, 2017.
Two artists may make a joint application, each submitting their own visuals and other information, if they are prepared to share the honorarium and living/working space. These are working residencies; family and friends cannot accompany artists.
Artist in Residence Opportunity in Sydney
Cape Breton Centre for Craft & Design offers state-of-the-art studio space for new and emerging craftspeople to practice their creative skills. Our clay, metal, glass and weaving studios offer a great space for artisans to work on their craft.
While living in the Sydney community, the artists have access to studio space for their art practice. At the same time, they’ll hold art classes and workshops and host public lectures and special exhibitions for the members of the community.
If you are interested in participating in the Centre’s Artist in Residence program or supporting Artist in Residence initiatives, please contact Lori at email@example.com or 539-7491 ext 113.