Baddeck, Nova Scotia
Artist in Residence Program (AIR)
The AIR program supports artists who are making a transition from academia to professional lives. This residency is ideal for contemplation, research, experimentation and product development. The program provides artists with a place and the time to develop an idea or project in their medium, with the potential for realizing a new body of work. Applicants for this program must be within 5 years post grad.
The AIR have 24 hour access to the facilities which include gallery, studio and residence. Retail space in the gallery is provided for selling your work. Gallery space will be open to the public for regular hours during the tourism season July through October.
Parking – Free parking is available and pick up or drop offs can be arranged for the bus station or Sydney airport.
Lodging – A bedroom with shared kitchen and bathroom is provided. Duration is between 8 – 16 weeks depending on arrangements. Food, household and art supplies are not included. A grocery, drug and hardware store are all within walking distance.
Opportunities – The AIR will have an opportunity to learn from other artists and gain the experience of retail sales.
ELIGIBILITY & CRITERIA
Please read entire application carefully before submission.
The AIR program is open to recent craft and design graduates to explore, pursue and accelerate their creative and professional potential in a studio & galley environment. Recent is defined as within 5 years of graduating.
- Talent, skill and innovation.
- Post-secondary Degree or diploma from a Craft/Design/Art College or University.
- Demonstrate the potential for artistic and technical development.
- Ability to demonstrate progress in your practice and career and a commitment to exhibit, promote and seek support for your work.
- Commitment to participate in gallery scheduling at least two days per week.
- Ability to work co-operatively, respectfully and responsibly.
- Ability to work in view of the public.
International applicants please familiarize yourself with Citizenship and Immigration Canada: International Participants and Work Studies.
You may only apply three times for a full-time Artist-in-Residence position.
AIR program for recent graduates is flexible. Usually begins July 1st ending in October 31st. Duration can be 8 to 16 weeks depending on arrangement.
We are now accepting applications for the 2016 AIR program. The deadline is Monday, June 20th.
Please direct any questions about the AIR program to Wendy Smith at email@example.com
- Applications and letters of recommendation must be received no later than June 20, 2016.
- Please ensure that your application is complete in every way. A complete application means both letters of recommendation are received on or before the deadline.
- It is your responsibility to contact your recommenders to ensure they have sent their letters.
- An appropriate recommender includes a professor, instructor, supervisor or employer. Recommendations should be requested from individuals who are prepared to comment on your technical and conceptual ability, qualifications and character.
Application form for the Victoria County AIR program is available by request via email firstname.lastname@example.org
For your application, please be mindful of the following:
- We only accept applications, digital images and letters of recommendation via e-mail. We will send confirmation when received.
Please test your images prior to submitting to ensure that they are formatted correctly. The Selection Committee will have two opportunities to view your images: first with your application submission and again when you are interviewed.
- For your application please submit 6 to 12 single images with description, title and date the piece was completed.
- jpeg files only
- Files of 500 KB (0.05 MB) maximum
*We still have studio and accommodations available for July & August. Artists can also just stay one month if they choose. The Old “Blue Heron Gift Shop” is the location. Prime for sales and studio space.